We all want to be good employees right? We want to excel at our job, get praise for what we’ve achieved and be in our boss’s good books. Being a successful employee is not just about being good at what you do. It’s also about being professional, having the right attitude and participating in teamwork. It’s about standing out from the crowd and making a difference.
Here’s our handy guidelines on how to make your job matter and how to do it well:-
- Understand your employer. Find out what their strategies are as a business and where you fit into that. Establish what is required of you and what their expectations are, then you can ensure you are delivering.
- Work hard. Show management that you are a grafter and are willing to help others out when needed. Being a good team player will also show your boss that you are serious about your job and that you want to succeed.
- Be professional. Keep personal calls, emails and texts to an absolute minimum. Dress appropriately and be polite and approachable to others. Don’t mess around and make sure you take your job seriously – if you want to keep it you need to show others that you deserve it.
- Be positive. Being negative will make the workplace a much duller place. If you show that you are positive and can find solutions to problems then you will be much more trusted by your boss.
- Take the initiative and think outside the box. Sometimes it’s good to challenge yourself and push the limits. Don’t get stuck into a rut – are there better ways to do your job which can increase productivity and reduce time? Do any systems or policies need revisiting? Make suggestions to your boss….. they might be gratefully received!
- Communicate with your boss. Ask for regular catch ups to make sure you are doing what is expected of you or to discuss new projects or business news. This way you can address any issues as they arise rather than letting them get out of control further down the line.
- Make friends….you never know when you might need them! Not only will it make being at work more fun but it will result in greater motivation for you to perform your job to the best of your abilities.
- Take construction criticism gracefully. This really is a tough one and can make you feel really deflated but try to use the feedback to improve your performance at work. Look at it as ways of making you excel in your role – free advice!
- Learn new skills. Take up any offers of training courses or put your name down to get involved with a working group or a new project. This will lead to greater job satisfaction and the new skills might make you stand out for any upcoming promotions.
- Volunteer to be a mentor. Helping the new guy learn the ropes will provide you with great personal satisfaction and will put you in the good books with the boss!
Doing all of the above will help you really excel at your job. It will give you a greater sense of accomplishment and increased job satisfaction. And when you are feeling good you will perform better…..which in turn will result in better feedback for you and a much happier boss!
If you want to discuss any of these items in more detail get in touch with our team today! We are a Specialist Leeds Recruitment Business with a wealth of sector and industry knowledge within the professional services, industrial, engineering and built environment sectors in the Yorkshire area.