If you have the right attitude at work, you can be really successful. One of the best things you can do is to surround yourself with successful people at work. Their work ethic, mind-set and the way they do things can give you a head start as to having the right attitude at work.
Here’s our top Do’s and Don’ts for how to behave at work if you want success to come your way:
• Don’t gossip about other people. Successful people don’t engage in gossip, they are too focused on their work and being productive. It’s very easy to get involved in work place gossip but if you want to succeed then don’t bother – it will just make you look unprofessional and amateur.
• Don’t make excuses. Successful people don’t need to make excuses because they either make sure they deliver or they are honest if they cannot achieve something. If you want to be successful at work you need to show people you mean business. You need to plan your time effectively so that you don’t ever need the opportunity for excuses!
• Don’t complain. We all have to start off somewhere, and we all have to do things we don’t particularly like. But rather than sit and complain about it, particularly if it’s a problem you’ve come across, look for solutions instead. Try to see things in a more positive light and look at it as a learning experience or personal development.
• Be a team player. It’s not all about you……everybody is entitled to an opinion and to be heard. Get stuck in and get involved, make connections and build up relationships with co-workers. Don’t let success go to your head and make you think you are superior to everybody else – it’s all about team work.
• Be willing to learn and develop. Successful people know that learning and experience can be gained from anywhere, at any point in your career. If you want to be successful, have a genuine thirst for learning new methods and adopting new ideas. Take opportunities with open arms to learn and develop wherever you can whether it’s through mentoring, training or volunteering.
• Help others. If you see somebody struggling, offer your assistance or advice. Don’t sit back and watch somebody else fail. Successful people are always looking out for others, not just thinking about themselves. Also there might be a time when you need their assistance with a project and they can return the favour!