So we are officially into spring and the clocks have gone forward…..which means lighter nights (and summer is on its way!). You might have spring cleaned the house or your summer wardrobe, but have you considered a re-fresh of your career? Here are our top 5 tips on how to spring clean your career and make a fresh start!
1. Make a list of important achievements you have met over the past 12 months. This could be projects you have successfully managed, training you have attended, research you might have carried out or promotions you may have received. Update your CV with this information so that everything is up to date and relevant. Even if you aren’t actively looking for a new job, it’s really important to keep your CV up to date at all times. You never know what new career might be just around the corner!
2. Give your inbox a good old clear out. We all receive those emails that aren’t important but do need reading….and we never actually get the time to read them! Set yourself a challenge to try and tackle a few a day so that your inbox is nice and clear. File them away and make notes of important information you need to remember. It’s easy to put it off, as it’s a job many of us don’t enjoy, but a few a day will easily get the list down and make you feel refreshed!
3. Spruce up your social presence. Take some time updating your profile with accomplishments from the past year. Look at who you are following or connecting with – are you getting anything from their posts? If you just find them annoying or not relevant then stop following them. Look for influencers in your business sector and follow those types of people instead – the ones you will learn from or who interest you and your career.
4. Clear out your workspace. Got a drawer full of out of date cup-a-soups? Or a pile of filing that’s been sat on your desk for months? Now is the time to tackle all of those jobs you’ve been putting off! Give your workspace a good old clean and make it look fresh again. Clean your equipment, tidy up your drawers and get rid of anything you no longer need. Many people believe that a clear workspace is a happy workspace!
5. Make a plan for the year ahead. Is there anything you want to work on over the coming months? Any challenges you could get involved in, any mentoring you can provide your colleagues or any training you’d like to attend? This is your opportunity to document your career plans for the next 12 months – where do you see yourself and what targets can you set yourself? If you are thinking about changing career, this is the time to consider what you want to do and where you are going.
So now you know how to spruce up, clear out and refresh your career……we guarantee doing so will make you feel so much better! And if the outcome of all of this is a new career on the cards, get in touch! We can give you advice and support on your next career move.